Thursday 29 November 2012

Statement of Intent



Statement of Intent 2012-2013

Critical reflection on your work and development is a vital part of professional practice. This Statement of Intent is intended to help you to articulate your current position and future intentions in ways that can assist you, and your tutors, to achieve your goals.


Name: Nathan Jeffries
Tutor/s: Mel Brown / Phil Trenerry
Module: AD32
Date: 26/11/2012

Project Titles:
·       Design and illustrate a range of greetings cards for UK Greetings.
·       Create a series of original cover illustrations for Little White Lies magazine.

Rationale:

The first project is for me to design a series featuring 4 greetings cards with my own range name and logo along with my chosen theme for the UK Greetings Company. This is relevant to me as a freelance illustrator because it will allow me to explore the avenue of greetings cards and prepare me for any future work I have in this field as a lot of freelance artists take up this genre of work.
The audience associated with this line of work are not only the company I am designing for, but also the buyers of the card range.

The second project allows me to create a series of front cover illustrations for ‘Little White Lies’ film magazine. I regard this as something that a freelance illustrator should be able to do and therefore include within the portfolio.
I have adapted the given brief that is no longer live to suit my own interests. So that it doesn’t appear outdated in my portfolio, I will aim to produce not only one cover but three, each featuring a character from the same film to mark an anniversary, for example Spinal Tap which is coming up to it’s 30th anniversary. This will give a ‘limited edition’ theme. Each cover will include the films title, and
an illustrated portrait of the main characters – simple, iconic and unique. This will give me a series of three front cover illustrations. My audience shall be film enthusiasts that read the magazine.

Aims:

I am aiming to achieve a series of new portfolio pieces showing diversity within my current working portfolio opening up a new potential client base.
For the first project I intend to produce 4 different greeting’s card designs within one series for UK Greetings. I will have to produce 4 final illustrations around my own theme that will grace greetings cards to the format and specifications of either
159mm x 159mm, 121mm x 184mm, 137mm x 159mm, 110mm x 210mm as suggested along with a 3mm bleed to all of my artwork. I will need to think about front-page designs, designs for the inside of the cards (this may or may not include an insert), a range name and logo to be printed on the back page and the envelope colour and/or design.

The second project that I intend to work on is a series of three magazine covers for Little White Lies. The final outcomes will be one image on each cover in the format and template provided by Little White Lies featuring their logo. I have adapted the brief that is now out of date, and have chosen to focus on the film This Is Spinal Tap which is coming up to it’s anniversary, allowing me to produce a portrait of the main characters as the defining focal point on each cover. I will consider the visual setting, historical/cultural background and the key visual images from the films when approaching my choices. I will still stick to the old brief in terms of working processes as it has said that I can work in any medium I choose and I will have creative freedom for the background of the illustration. I will include the title of the film in my own typographic style, (This could be based on an existing typeface or be an original piece of hand lettering. The typography can sit on top of the illustration or be fully integrated into the composition). Finally I will need to incorporate the Little White Lies masthead into the composition, which is on the template provided.

Timetable of Objectives:
Week 18 (26th – 30th Nov)
·       Start to research the market based around greetings cards and relevant themes they hold and depict relating to their imagery/art direction.
·       Start to draw up rough sketches of possible designs.

·       Look at previous Little White Lies magazine covers and draw upon what themes they pick out for each cover in terms of illustration.
·       Look at each of my 3 films chosen and research.

Week 19 (3rd – 7th Dec)
·       Start to work through and develop initial designs.

·       Having picked 3 films to illustrate the main character from, start to get initial drawings rolling for each.

Week 20 (10th – 14th Dec)
Specific Targets:
·       Finalise four final images from developed drawing outcomes to use on the cards.
·       Start to look at branding (name and logo), along with envelope and inside messages.

·       Develop drawings regarding the main characters further.
·       Start to sketch ideas for background and typographical aspects for each one.

Week 21 (17th – 21st December)
Specific Targets:
·       Finalise the greetings cards and produce mock-ups.

·       Start to think about final illustrations for the main characters.
·       Continue to develop backgrounds and type.

Week 22, 23 (Christmas Break)
Specific Targets:
·       Work on presentation of the greetings cards.

Week 24 (7th – 11th Jan)
Specific Targets:
9th January: Deadline One & Group Presentations
·       Pull together my outcomes for the magazine covers and develop where necessary.

Week 25 (14th – 18th Jan)
Specific Targets:
·       Develop magazine covers where necessary.

Week 26 (21st – 25th Jan)
Specific Targets:
·       Develop magazine covers where necessary.

Week 27 (28th 30th Jan)
Specific Targets:
30th Jan: Deadline Two (summative deadline

No comments:

Post a Comment