Monday 3 December 2012

The idea of an escape - Wish You Were Here

Having had the idea of a roof top / roof line and chimneys from the view out of my window:




I wanted to research further into the architecture side to keep it interesting and potentially offer something a little different to my research and perhaps my outcomes. I spoke to my friend (a Post Grad Architecture student) in order to get the ball rolling and he came back telling me to look at Antoni Gaudi and the Secret Skyline of New York City.
I started with Antoni Gaudi and in particular focused on his house 'Casa Batllo' which has the most incredible roof top.





I also found a video of Gaudi's work below:  


Gaudi's work makes a complete difference to the skyline of Barcelona, it offers the idea of an escape through art, a different way of thinking.
Continuing this theme of escape, i have looked at the second item, the secret skyline of New York City. 
"Just a few stories above the non-stop hubbub of city life exists an incredible oasis of lush gardens, restaurants, swimming pools and even tennis courts. Thanks to Mayor Bloomberg’s eco-friendly ‘roofscaping’ initiatives, the tops of dozens of buildings have been transformed into amazing outdoor living spaces and models for green-city living." 

Again, this offers the idea of exclusion and a longing to get away from day to day life styles. I Wish You Were Here fits perfectly as a theme in my opinion.










No comments:

Post a Comment